Ihsar means obstruction. It is the hindrances that the pilgrims may come across when he/she is on the way to perform Hajj or Umrah. It is a situation in which the pilgrim who is in a state of Ihram is obstructed to perform Hajj or Umrah .
"When you make up your mind to perform Hajj or Umrah, accomplish these to please Allah. But if you are hemmed in somewhere, then offer to Allah whatever sacrifice you can afford. And do not shave your heads until the sacrifice reaches its place." Surah Al-Baqarah 2 :196)
In fact, there are many examples of Ihsar. In what follows we state few cases:
- A real threatening danger: a war is going on, robberies o the road
- Falling sick during travel or being incapable to travel.
- The Muharam gets sick or dies on the road to Hajj or Umrah.
- There is no sufficient travel money.
- Lost on the way and there is no guide.
- Concerning woman when she is in a state of Ihram and she gets divorced or her husband dies and her waiting period (Iddah) starts.
- A woman enters into a state of Ihram without getting her husband’s permission and she fails to get permission even afterwards.
Ihsar has got its rules, in what follows we state the rules of Ihsar:
- In case of Ihsar the pilgrim has to send to a sacrificial animal to Mecca ( a camel, a cow or a goat, etc.) according to his/her means. He/she can send its price too.
- The sacrifice for Ihsar is compulsory (wajib) and the pilgrim cannot put off Ihram unless the sacrifice is offered in the Haram on his/her behalf.
- The Muhsar has to send one sacrificial animal if he/she is obstructed from performing Umrah or Hajj al-Ifrad and he/she has to send two animals in case of Hajj Al-Tamat’u or Hajj Al-Qiran.
- If sacrifice is not offered, the pilgrim will remain in a state of Ihram. He/she come out of Ihram only when the animal is sacrificed on his behalf in the Haram and he/she must not eat from the meat of this animal.
- If the Ihram had to be taken off by sending a sacrificial animal, it becomes compulsory to perform Hajj or Umrah later for which this Ihram was put on.
Click Here to read the Hajj and Umrah latest news